Call for Application #2022-AIL-C04 open until August 28, 2022
Prediction of Clinical Trial Outcome in Biomarker-Stratified Cancer Patient Populations
14 days left to apply!
Group Leader / Scientist Founder (all genders)
Postdoctoral Researchers / Scientist Co-Founders (all genders)
What we are looking for
AION Labs, the Israel-based alliance of AstraZeneca, Merck, Pfizer, Teva, Israel Biotech Fund and Amazon Web Services (AWS), powered by BioMed X is supporting the establishment of a new, fully funded startup company in the field of:
Prediction of clinical trial outcome in biomarker-stratified cancer patient populations
If you hold a PhD or master’s degree with an outstanding track record or strong interest in the fields of computational biology, bioinformatics, data sciences, with a life science background or if you are a technology entrepreneur with strong capabilities in building products and a good understanding of biology / healthcare, we invite you to apply with a project proposal for a position in our new startup team.
Each AION Labs startup team is sponsored by several industry-leading partners and supported by the Israel Innovation Authority. The sponsors of this call for application are AstraZeneca, Merck, Pfizer, and Teva, with close support from AWS.
Early oncology clinical trials typically have a single study arm with toxicity and efficacy related primary endpoints. The arm is typically small and only powered to test response rate against an assumed response rate based on the literature. In this challenge we are looking for a platform that will predict the outcome of a phase III randomized oncology clinical trial given a single arm early phase I/II data. The platform is expected to optimize the patient population for the phase III study by identifying biomarkers within the existing early data and considering the standard of care to maximize the likelihood of success.
The input to the platform will be early oncology clinical trials results (phase I/II) where a novel drug or drug combination was tested. For development purposes and proof of concept, data sets of results from control arms of multiple historic oncology clinical trials will be provided. The expected output should be:
- A predictive biomarker identified using the input clinical trial data.
- A projection of response to standard or care or the tested drug in a patient population potentially positive to the biomarker or a patient population without biomarker selection.
The platform is expected to allow the use of drug response biomarkers that are typically not measured in clinical care. Very original ideas which go far beyond the current state-of-the-art are particularly encouraged.
The group leader / startup founder position is intended to suit candidates who would like to develop themselves towards an entrepreneurship path, and who typically have a PhD plus four to eight years of additional research experience in academia and/or industry.
Candidates for postdoctoral researcher / scientist co-founder positions are expected to have completed a PhD or equivalent within the last four years and a certain degree of specialization in one or more relevant cutting-edge technologies and scientific areas including computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science / machine learning, medical and life sciences.
What we offer
- A position in a fully funded new startup company: the funding package covering salaries, consumables, services, travel costs, as well as access to the core facilities and data repositories of major research institutions, hospitals, and health management organizations in Israel and beyond.
- Equity in the new startup company.
- An initial funding term of at least $1M for first two years, with the possibility of prolongation for up to two additional years with at least $1M, with working space provided in the AION labs premises including wet and computational labs.
- Continuous guidance and support from experienced mentors from academia, the pharma industry, the tech industry, and venture capital.
- An exciting research opportunity in a multidisciplinary and international startup incubator embedded in one of the strongest biomedical innovation ecosystems in Israel.
There is flexibility over starting dates, but successful applicants are welcome to take up post in Israel starting February 1, 2023.
Application & Selection Process
- Please apply online at https://career.bio.mx/registration/2022-AIL-C04.
- As part of the online application procedure, you will be asked to submit: (i) A competitive project proposal addressing the challenge of this call (3-5 pages describing your core hypothesis, scientific rationale, and unique approach to solve the challenge); (ii) Your curriculum vitae including your publication record.
- Deadline for applications: August 28, 2022.
- After a first selection round, candidates will be invited to a five-day innovation boot camp in Israel from November 6 to 10, 2022. With guidance from experienced mentors, candidates will jointly work on their project proposals and present them in front of a jury on the final day. Successful candidates will be offered a position as founders in the new startup company at the AION Labs innovation lab in Israel.
About AION Labs
AION Labs is a first-of-its-kind alliance of AstraZeneca, Merck, Pfizer, Teva, the Israel Biotech Fund and Amazon Web Services (AWS) that have come together with one clear mission: to create and adopt groundbreaking new AI technologies that will transform the process of drug discovery and development in order to contribute to the health and well-being of all people world-wide. Located within the Israeli biotech hotspot in Rehovot adjacent to Weizmann Institute for Sciences, AION Labs is a unique venture hub where brilliant innovators convene from around the world to solve the biggest R&D challenges guided by years of accumulated know-how, data and experience in pharma. The lab leverages its partners’ wealth of knowledge and a new multidisciplinary mindset with the ingenuity, agility and innovative power of Israel’s start-up ecosystem, to develop strong companies with clear long-term strategies, that will pave the way to the future of healthcare. AION Labs cultivates innovation from within; its unique venture creation process bridges the gap between outstanding academic research in the field of AI and the biggest R&D needs in the discovery and development of new medicines for the benefit of patients.
About BioMed X
BioMed X is an independent research institute located on the campus of the University of Heidelberg in Germany, with a world-wide network of partner locations. Together with our partners, we identify big biomedical research challenges and provide creative solutions by combining global crowdsourcing with local incubation of the world’s brightest early-career research talents. Each of the highly diverse research teams at BioMed X has access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and is continuously guided by experienced mentors from academia and industry. At BioMed X, we combine the best of two worlds – academia and industry – and enable breakthrough innovation by making biomedical research more efficient, more agile, and more fun.