Job Offer #2023-NHV-J02 open until December 22, 2023
Research Assistant Position (m/f/x) - Complex Human Ex Vivo Models of Tissue Inflammation
15 days left to apply!
About BioMed X
BioMed X is an independent research institute located on the campus of the University of Heidelberg in Germany with a world-wide network of partner locations. Our new site, BioMed X USA is located in New Haven, Connecticut next to world renowned Yale University. Together with our partners, we identify big biomedical research challenges and provide creative solutions by combining global crowdsourcing with local incubation of the world’s brightest early-career research talents. Each of the highly diverse research teams at BioMed X has access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and is continuously guided by experienced mentors from academia and industry. At BioMed X, we combine the best of two worlds - academia and industry - and enable breakthrough innovation by making biomedical research more efficient, more agile, and more fun.
About the Team
Arteries are crucial to maintain health and are compromised in multiple diseases. Current in vitro and in vivo models to study this complex tissue are labor-intensive and insufficient to understand human disease initiation, development, and resolution. Our group, led by Dr. Alicia Cutler, is bridging this gap by generating a de novo 3D in vitro artery with sufficient complexity to recapitulate key characteristics of arterial structure and function to mimic disease. We will deploy this organotypic human arterial model to recreate Giant Cell Arteritis pathology, confirm known biomarkers of disease, identify novel markers of disease progression to test targeted therapeutics with the long-term goal of advancing patient treatment and curing disease.
We are looking for highly enthusiastic researchers to support our efforts with their intellectual power and technical excellence. The ideal candidate would have a BS degree in cell/molecular biology, biomedical engineering, or biochemistry combined with strong experience in mammalian cell culture and aseptic technique.
- Mastery of basic laboratory skills (pipetting, dilutions, concentration calculations, etc.)
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture
- Basic theoretical knowledge in statistics
- Excellent communication skills in English
Additional skills as an asset to the position
- Experience with 3D printing
- Experience with immunocytochemistry or immunohistochemistry
- Experience with hydrogels or 3D culture systems
Candidates are requested to submit
- 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team
- Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publications, future personal goals, and extra-scientific passions
- 2 references
What we offer
The post is offered for a limited term until July 31st, 2025.
- International, diverse, and positive work atmosphere, flexible working environment
- A competitive salary
- Access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institutions on the Life Science Campus at Yale
- Access to a vast network in science and industry
- Employee benefits plan
The position is available immediately and is sponsored by AbbVie.
Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Alicia Cutler before December 22nd, 2023, via our online Career Space. Applicants will be reviewed and interviewed on a rolling basis and the position is available to fill starting Nov 1st, 2023.