Job Offer #2022-BMX-J08 open until September 30, 2022
PhD Student Position (all genders) in Extrachromosomal DNA in Cancer (EDC)
6 days left to apply!
About BioMed X
BioMed X is an independent research institute located on the campus of the University of Heidelberg, Germany with a world-wide network of partner locations. Together with our partners, we identify big biomedical research challenges and provide creative solutions by combining global crowdsourcing with local incubation of the world’s brightest early-career research talents. Each of the highly diverse research teams at BioMed X has access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and is continuously guided by experienced mentors from academia and industry. At BioMed X, we combine the best of two worlds - academia and industry - and enable breakthrough innovation by making biomedical research more efficient, more agile, and more fun.
About Team EDC
A PhD position is available in our new research group Extrachromosomal DNA in cancer (EDC), headed by Dr. Alexandros Drainas. The objective of the group is to investigate the formation, maintenance and consequences of extrachromosomal DNA (ecDNA) in cancer using cutting edge single cell screening and spatial technologies. ecDNA leads to high amplification of oncogenes or genes involved in drug resistance under selective pressures and has a prominent role in cancer heterogeneity. The overarching goal is to identify druggable targets that reduce ecDNA abundance in cancer – and hence ablating a potent tool of genetic heterogeneity and a powerhorse of drug resistance in cancer.
We are looking for highly enthusiastic researchers to broaden our think-tank with their intellectual power and technical excellence. The PhD student will develop assays or computational analyses to investigate ecDNA formation, maintenance and response to treatments. The ideal candidate should have a M.Sc. degree in cancer biology, molecular biology, or bioinformatics.
- Hands-on experience in establishing and maintenance of cultured cells (transfection, transduction) and cell-based assays (in vitro or in vivo)
- Hands-on experience in basic molecular and cell biology techniques (DNA/RNA isolation, PCR/qPCR, Western blotting, Immunofluorescence)
- Experience in R or Python
- Experience in Linux
- Very good work organization skills
- Experienced to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills in English
What we offer
- International, diverse, and positive work atmosphere, flexible working environment
- A competitive salary
- Access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institutions on the Life Science Campus in Heidelberg
- Access to a vast network in science and industry.
- Job ticket, sponsored fitness contract, complimentary fresh fruit, soft drinks and chocolate team recognition events, etc.
The post is offered for a limited term until July 31st, 2027. The position is sponsored by Merck.
Candidates are requested to submit
- 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team (required)
- Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publications, future personal goals and extra-scientific passions
- 1 reference submitted or available upon request
The position is available as of October 1, 2022. Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Alexandros Drainas before September 30, 2022 via our online Career Space.